**************************************

AIRFORCES, INC., Est. 2007 AS A MIAMI, FLORIDA BASED, PRIVATELY OWNED, FUNDED AND OPERATED MILITARY AVIATION OPEN SOURCE INTELLIGENCE (OSINT) PLATFORM

Sunday, December 30, 2007

201st Mexican Fighter Squadron "The Aztec Eagles" P-47D

AIRFORCES, Inc. Reports: The 201st Mexican Fighter Squadron of the "Fuerza Area Expedicionaria Mexicana" is the only Mexican military unit that has seen combat outside Mexico.
Affectionately known as the "Aztec Eagles," the squadron flew combat missions in the Philippines from May to August 1945. The 201st was attached to the American 58th Fighter Group, 5th Fighter Command, 5th Air Force and flew P-47 Thunderbolts.
Mexico declared war against the Axis powers in 1942 after U-boats sank two Mexican ships. In 1944, The Mexican Air Force formed 300 pilots and crewmen into El Escuadron Aereo de Pelea 201 and sent them to Idaho and Texas for training.
The 201st flew its first combat missions in support of American ground troops in June 1945 during the advance into northern Luzon. In July the squadron flew long range fighter sweeps from the Philippines to Formosa and in August they flew a dive-bombing mission on the Port of Karenko, Formosa.
During its four-month tour, the squadron flew 791 sorties including 96 combat missions, dropped 1,497 bombs and fired 166,922 rounds of 0.50 cal. ammunition. Five of the squadron's 31 pilots were killed during the war.
The MEAF was disbanded after returning to Mexico from the Philippines. The 201st is still an active duty squadron, flying the Pilatus PC-7 from Cozumel, Quitna Roo.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello my name is ruben nava my father Fernando musa nava is my father he served with the 201 fighter squadron god bless America and my father

Unknown said...

if any one know my father ware bouts Fernando musa nava please contact me am his son I have not heard from my father for over 40 years if any one has information about my father I would appreciate contact me at rubenn18@GMAIL.COM THANK YOU ALL